Why does MBSA 2.1 show KB951847 missing and installed
Nikkor
2009-02-24 17:41:01 UTC
I have MBSA scanning several XP-SP3 & Server 2003-SP2 computers and on all
of them it shows that Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET
Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 is both missing and installed. I
have downloaded and installed the file from the MBSA dialog on the affected
computers and I still see this issue.

So my question is how do I get MBSA to correctly report on this? And not
show it as missing when it is really installed?

Thanks.
Doug Neal [MSFT]
2009-02-24 19:12:24 UTC
Thank you for posting this to the MBSA newsgroup.

There should never be a time when the update is being reported as both
Needed (Missing) and Installed. Could you please send your
WindowsUpdate.LOG file from you %windir% directory to my email address below
with the "online." removed for me to review?
Doug Neal [MSFT]
***@online.microsoft.com

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for support on the Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Information is available at the following
link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.
Thanks.
Nikkor
2009-02-25 16:07:01 UTC
Hi Doug,

In case a spam filter got in the way, I wanted to let you know that I sent
the log file in to you last night. If you did not get it, please let me know
and I will see about sending it to you in a different manner.

Thanks for looking into this question.
Thanks.
Doug Neal [MSFT]
2009-03-10 17:12:39 UTC
Thank you for your patience as we worked through the helpful LOG files you
were able to send.

The confusing MBSA report is displaying because part of this update is
installed - and another part is still missing and needs to be installed.

Specifically, the ".Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .Net Framework 3.5
Family Update (KB951847)" is a combination of multiple updates. The first
part, '.Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1' is obviously 3.5 Service Pack 1 -
but due to .Net Framework's approach that .Net 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 RTM are all
under the .Net 3.5 'umbrella' of related products, this update is applicable
to any machine running .Net 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 RTM. Once installed, you will
have effectively upgraded all .Net 2.0 3.0 and 3.5 to the latest of their
versions and effectively installed .Net 3.5 RTM.

The second portion of the update, '.Net Framework 3.5 Family Update' will
subsequently upgrade any machine that just installed .Net Framework 3.5
(from the update above) or by previously downloading it from Microsoft.com.
This update specifically updates .Net 3.5 SP1 with the latest security and
compatibility fixes since .Net 3.5 SP1 was originally released a few months
ago.

The final bit of confusion comes from the fact that both of these massive
updates that are applicable in different ways are bundled into a single
update combining both names into a single, massive update named, ".Net
Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update
(KB951847)."

Because MBSA can't break this single, bundled update into its two distinct
names, MBSA reports any version of .Net (2.0, 3.0, 3.5) that doesn't have
the latest updates, as still needing the full update. At the same time, if
even a single version of .Net is fully updated (say, .Net 2.0 is updated,
but 3.0 and 3.5 are not), MBSA will simultaneously report that the update is
also Installed.

To resolve this, you should install the full named ".Net Framework 3.5
Service Pack 1 and .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847)" until there
are no instances of .Net Framework that need to be updated. Once completed,
MBSA will no longer report any instance as 'needed.'

We're aware this is very confusing and will work hard to ensure we release
predictable, understandable releases that don't require this kind of
explanation.

If you're interested in the specific updates, you can read more about them
here: KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959209 and the .Net
version specific updates at the articles below:

958481 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958481/ ) List of the issues that
are addressed by the Application Compatibility Update for the .NET Framework
2.0 Service Pack 2

958483 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958483/ ) List of the issues that
are addressed by the Application Compatibility Update for the .NET Framework
3.0 Service Pack 2

958484 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958484/ ) List of the issues that
are addressed by the Application Compatibility Update for the .NET Framework
3.5 Service Pack 1

I hope that helps explain this confusing situation.

Thanks.
davec777
2009-04-01 12:36:01 UTC
I tried running this four times consecutively on our SBS2003 domain
controller, but MBSA still reports this update as needed! I can't believe
that running it again will fix the problem. The first install was normal,
but the remaining three were all flagged as repairs, so I don't know whether
they actually achieved anything or not.
Thanks.
Jerry M. Wright
2009-04-07 15:00:23 UTC
I don't think reapplying the service pack until all items are upgraded is
the correct answer. I'm up to 12 attempts on one machine and MBSA is still
reporting the service pack is not installed as well as installed.
Post by Doug Neal [MSFT]
[...]
Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
958484 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958484/ ) List of the issues that
are addressed by the Application Compatibility Update for the .NET
Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
Thanks.
Jerry M. Wright
2009-04-14 12:34:38 UTC
Found the issue that blocks the update.

Turn off anti-virus software on the machine that won't update. In my case
it is Symantec 10.1.1.7000 however I saw a note that other anti-virus
programs also block the update.

So far all machines have to reboot once. Some need to reapply the patch
once before it is finished.
Thanks.
BLM
2009-02-27 14:14:01 UTC
Any update on this? I am having this issue with many workstations.
Clarksonline
2009-02-26 11:35:01 UTC
I've got exactly the same problem, did you find a way to resolve this?

Thanks
Nikkor
2009-02-27 15:25:01 UTC
I have sent in the requested items to Doug and I understand he and his team
are working on figuring out what is causing the issue. When I get a
resolution I will post it.
Thanks
Jacqui Hurst