Error While Scanning (0x800700005)
Mr. JYC
2010-03-09 00:06:01 UTC
Hello,

I installed MBSA 2.1.1 on Windows Server 2003 Standard with 1 GB RAM
installed. I also installed WindowsUpdateAgent 3.0.

When I try to scan I always get the following error:

An error occurred while scanning for security updates. (0x800700005)

On the target machine it is Windows XP SP 3 also with the latest version of
Windows Update Agent.

Please help.

Thank you,
--
Thank you for your help!
JYC
Bill Sanderson
2010-03-09 01:12:12 UTC
Search the result at this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184922.aspx

on the first part of your error message below--the part before the number.

As I read these results, this error relates to a problem communicating with
the proper update server for the workstation in question.

Does your office use WSUS?
JYC
Mr. JYC
2010-03-09 02:06:01 UTC
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the reply. We currently don't have a WSUS server however
there may have been on in the past. Where would I look to disable or remove
any residual settings from out very old WSUS server? Would installing a new
WSUS server help?
--
Thank you for your help!
JYC
.
Bill Sanderson
2010-03-09 15:09:21 UTC
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverwsus/thread/eff10fab-7ca3-471e-a164-bf7b73a28128

The #2 registry change in the above thread from Lawrence Garvin should do
the job on an individual client.
I think you'll need to restart the machine after making that change.

To be safe, you should save that registry key first, then delete it.
.
Phil Goddard
2010-03-19 16:16:49 UTC
I've got a similar problems but my machine has never used WSUS.
It's been working for years but suddenly I'm getting this error.

Any error would be greatly appreciated

Phil
.
Bill Sanderson
2010-03-23 00:34:09 UTC
Is Windows Update or AutoUpdate working?

I believe this error indicates inability to reach the update server.

You can update manually at www.microsoft.com/security/portal

Sometimes, a manual update seems to fix the normal automatic update.
.
Bill Sanderson
2010-03-25 00:11:39 UTC
Sorry - I completely forgot what group this question is in, and the security
portal link is inappropriate to the question.

I'll stick with that first sentence, but the rest is nonsensical in relation
to MBSA (It relates to Windows Defender, fwiw!)