MBSA offline scanning problem with new version of wsusscn2.cab fil
Dovla
2009-06-30 10:05:02 UTC
Hello
I have problem with MBSA offline scanning for MS security updates. Problem
has started with new version of “wsusscn2.cab” file.
Up until now, everything working fine, with older version of “wsusscn2.cab”.
When I started scanning this month I recived an error: “An error occurred
while scanning for security updates. (0x80070057)“.
When I was scanning with older version of “wsusscn2.cab” everything passed OK.
Cyberstorme
2009-07-02 04:22:01 UTC
What is the version of WUA installed on the system you are scanning? I
believe anything older than 7.0 can be a problem now, after the latest .CAB
was release around 23rd of June'2009.

Plam
2009-07-03 04:19:01 UTC
I am having the same problem. My iuengine.dll is 5.8.0.2694. However, I
have one system with the same WUA and was using same cab file and that seems
to be working okay?

Plam
2009-07-03 04:56:05 UTC
That was definitely the problem. Was looking at wrong file! Updated Windows
Update Agent (wuauclt.exe) to latest version 7.2 and now working on the test
machine. Does that mean previous versions are not supported from now on
which would mean I would have to deploy new version to all clients?

Rob
2009-07-03 08:27:01 UTC
Hi,

Just a bit more evidence to add to the pile... I just started getting this
problem as well, with nothing changed in the environment except the version
of the update cab file... I was using version 5.8 of the update agent. Have
just upgraded to 7.2 and all working ok now...

Great when these things come along isn't it!

Dovla
2009-07-06 09:07:01 UTC
Thank you Palm
Problem was version of wuauclt.exe. Now is working fine.
Download of new version on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Doug Neal [MSFT]
2009-07-08 15:52:10 UTC
I'm glad the group was able to assist. In case it helps further, MBSA 2.1
can automatically distribute the latest Windows Update Agent to target
machines. To do so, be sure to check the selection named, 'Configure
computers for Microsoft Update and scanning prerequisites.'

For this to work, you'll need to be an administrator on each target machine
and you'll need to be connected to the internet for the MBSA (the scanning
machine) to obtain the latest WUA client (or, you can optionally download
all of the necessary files detailed in the MBSA FAQ for offline use).

Due to privacy and consent issues, customers requested we change MBSA 2.1 to
DISABLE this option by default. Although this prevents inadvertent
installations of updated Windows Update Agents, it also increases the
likelihood of the errors you experienced when the logic in the CAB requires
a higher version of the WUA client to process it.

I hope that helps...

Doug Neal [MSFT]
***@online.microsoft.com

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for support on the Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Information is available at the following
link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.

JB
2010-03-01 20:04:01 UTC
Does anyone know which command line switches to use for "offline scanning"

Currently I can perform offline scans and get offline scanning to work with
the GUI, by setting advance update section, but I can not find the command
line switches to be able to preform offline scanning using msbacli.
Keeps stating can not contact wsus server.

I have the current wua installed 7.4.xx and the latest wsusscan2.cab filed
installed.

I tried mbsaclie.exe /nd /ia /mu, and many other switch combinations and
just can not get it to work.

mbsa is 2.1.1, wua is 7.4 and wsusscan2 was download from ms site yesterday.

Thanks

Doug Neal [MSFT]
2010-03-25 00:47:43 UTC
JB - thanks for posting this on the MBSA newsgroup!

With all of the improvements the latest Windows Update Agent provides, it
breaks something in MBSA that requires a workaround. Previously, offline
scans could be accomplished using the command-line parameters that you
specified. With the update to the latest WUA client, the fallback mechanism
doesn't work as it should to 'fall back' to offline in the same way. You
can force this by adding the /wi (ignore WSUS) switch to whatever
command-line switches you're using now.

It not intuitive - and it's a different MBSA behavior after updating to the
latest WUA client. We'll work to fix this in a future version. But until
then, add /wi and you should get offline mode back from the command-line.