MBSA Stalling on "Downloading Security Update information from Mic
Bcarlock
2009-03-25 15:38:13 UTC
Any thoughts? I've uninstalled/reinstalled. Removed the one peice of software
installed before the problem presented its self, disabled firewall... etc.
This is in a domain setting so all of the other computers have the same
settings as this one through group policy and the rest of them work.
Bcarlock
2009-03-25 15:57:01 UTC
To add just a little more: If i turn off Check for security updates entirely
the MBSA scan works perfectly.
Sean Wallent
2009-03-25 17:01:04 UTC
Same thing is happening to me here. anybody know whats going on?
Bcarlock
2009-03-25 18:48:02 UTC
Sean, i got mine fixed by clearing out the software distribution cache and
then letting it sit trying to download the security update information for
like around 2 hours. After it did that it's just like normal- no long wait to
start or anything.
Bcarlock
2009-03-25 19:05:01 UTC
New development: just started getting "Failed to download..."
MDB
2009-03-25 19:55:15 UTC
This same thing is happening to every server and workstation in our
building. It's got to be a problem at microsoft.
MDB
Ari©
2009-04-16 23:00:09 UTC
Post by Bcarlock
Any thoughts? I've uninstalled/reinstalled. Removed the one
peice of software
installed before the problem presented its self, disabled
firewall... etc. This is in a domain setting so all of the
other computers have the same settings as this one through
group policy and the rest of them work.
Krap software.
--
Post by MDB
Post by Bcarlock
Yep, I do indeed use rubbers and condoms.
I know ...and they also saved my life several times from my own
stupidity :-(
Doug Neal [MSFT]
2009-03-27 16:40:48 UTC
Thank you for reporting this to the MBSA newsgroups.

We attempted to track this back through our redirector system and the
destination servers that provide the WSUSSCN2.CAB file that would have been
the likely source for these issues, but we were unable to find a drop in
service at any part of the frontend infrastructure. I'm glad the problem
resolved itself, but I'm still concerned you had a lack of service for that
period of time.

If this happens again, could you see if placing Internet Explorer into
offline mode and trying again (to effectively block MBSA from attempts to
access live content at Microsoft.com) and report this to me using my email
address below with the "online." removed?

Thank you again for reporting this and for using MBSA. I hope that helps..
Doug Neal [MSFT]
***@online.microsoft.com

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for support on the Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Information is available at the following
link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.