Running offline scan from VB script fails with non Admin account
aviz
2009-11-06 19:28:18 UTC
Hi all ,
I am trying to write a vb script which will scan all hosts for missing
vulnerabilities.
The script works as expected as long as the user has Administrator rights.

Here are the first lines of the script -
Option Explicit
Dim UpdateSession
Dim UpdateServiceManager
Set UpdateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
Set UpdateServiceManager = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager")
Set UpdateService = UpdateServiceManager.AddScanPackageService("Offline Sync
Service", "c:\wsusscn2.cab)
The problem I identified is that if the script runs as non administrator user
it fails on the last line.
The error is - 0x46 - Permissions Denied.
Is that make sense that offline scan is not available with a standard user?
The following page explain the permissions needed for the WUA components ,
but I cant find what related to offline scan.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387103(VS.85).aspx
Thank you.
Doug Neal [MSFT]
2009-11-18 22:35:09 UTC
Administrator rights is a requirement to run MBSA. This is listed in the
MBSA help file and the MBSA home page. There is no workaround for this.
The script will need to be run using Administrator rights in order for MBSA
to run.
Doug Neal [MSFT]
***@online.microsoft.com

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for support on the Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Information is available at the following
link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.