Scan stalls at second to last IP address during scan by IP range
Dave
2009-03-30 18:20:05 UTC
I run a series of 5 scans the last 5 business days of each month. I use
MBSACLI.EXE. The following is an example of one command line I use:
mbsacli.exe /r 170.203.26.11-170.203.27.254 /n os+sql+iis+password /wa /nvc
"%USERPROFILE%\SecurityScans\FifthFloor.txt"
notepad.exe "%USERPROFILE%\SecurityScans\FifthFloor.txt"

When the scan reaches computer number
498 of 499 computer scans complete
It stalls, instead of moving to 499 and closing and outputting to a text doc
on my desktop. I run 5 different scans over a 5 day period. Only 2 of them
stall, the other 3 continue to computer number 499 and then output to the
text file. The above command fails the command below works as it should:

mbsacli.exe /r 170.203.17.11-170.203.17.254 /n os+sql+iis+password /wa /nvc
"%USERPROFILE%\SecurityScans\FirstFloor.txt"
notepad.exe "%USERPROFILE%\SecurityScans\FirstFloor.txt"
Can you tell me why the above scan stalls and how to fix it please?
Dave the Wave.
Doug Neal [MSFT]
2009-03-31 17:38:45 UTC
Dave - thanks for sending this our way.

Years ago we had a single report of this happening and we were unable to get
enough information from the customer to track down the cause. You may be
experiencing the same issue for which we don't presently have a solution.

If you're willing, I would appreciate your help to help us track down the
issue. Could you try the following steps:
* Perform a GUI-based scan with the same options (same IP address range
and unchecking everything but the 'Security Updates' checks) to determine if
the same problem occurs with the same IP address ranges as under the
command-line (in all but a rare race condition, the GUI should stall in
exactly the same way as the command-line (CLI) tool)
* Reduce the IP address range or perform mini-scans or subsets of the
full IP address range to narrow down and identify the problem client
* Once you've found the problem client, confirm that the machine is a
Windows machine, that the Windows File & Printer Sharing service is enabled,
and retry the scan specifically to that machine (scan one machine, not a
range) to confirm the machine gets 'stuck' during a scan
* On the problem machine, perform a remote scan (or use the same remote
scan from the step above) and capture the WindowsUpdate.LOG file from the
problem machine and send it to my email address below with the ("online."
removed)

I hope these steps can help us track down the exact cause and resolve it for
you.
Doug Neal [MSFT]
***@online.microsoft.com

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for support on the Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Information is available at the following
link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.