MBSA Question
Venkatesh
2009-04-08 05:44:01 UTC
Hi there,

Two questions...

1) Is MBSA a free download? We have a setup with many Windows servers used
for varied purposes from IIS, Exchange to DC. Can we download MBSA for free?

2) Can MBSA check our servers and suggests patches they need. Since we have
many server hope MBSA has the ability to check multiple servers in batches.

Thanks,
Mercy Dworzak [MSFT]
2009-04-17 18:00:24 UTC
Hi Venkatesh,

Here's some help with your 2 questions...

1. Yes, MBSA 2.1 is a free download that will detect common security
misconfigurations and missing security updates on your computer systems.
Built on the Windows Update Agent and Microsoft Update infrastructure, MBSA
ensures consistency with other Microsoft management products including
Microsoft Update (MU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Systems
Management Server (SMS), System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007,
and Small Business Server (SBS).

2. MBSA can perform a scan against all machines in a network, domain or IP
address range. A individual scan report is created for each machine
scanned. If you have a large number of scan reports, you can roll them up
using the MBSA Script Samples or the Visio Connector for MBSA 2.1 - both
available from the MBSA 2.1 home page (see www.microsoft.com/mbsa).

Mercy Dworzak [MSFT]
***@online.microsoft.com

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for support on the Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Information is available at the following
link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.